Perth offers all you need for your working holiday or backpacking adventure in Western Australia.
Check out some useful links and resources below.
Working holiday makers
A working holiday in Perth offers something for everyone - sun, adventure, an awesome natural environment and friendly people. Under Australia's 'Working Holiday Program' and 'Work and Holiday Program', visitors aged 18 to 30 can supplement their travel funds through temporary employment. To apply for this visa, you must be outside of Australia when the application is made and granted.
The Working Holiday Program (visa subclass 417) is open to citizens from the United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Hong Kong, Finland, the Republic of Cyprus, France, Italy, Belgium, Estonia and Taiwan aged between 18 and 30 and without children.
For those who have completed "specified work" in regional Australia on your working holiday visa for at least 88 days, you can apply for a 12-month extension of your working holiday visa while in Australia. As off the 1st of September 2015, it's important to note that volunteer work can no longer be used toward the 88 day requirement.
The Work and Holiday program (visa subclass 462) is similar to the subclass 417 visa mentioned above, and is available to those from Argentina, Bangladesh Chile, China, People's Republic of Indonesia, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, United States of America and Uruguay.
Unlike the Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417), there is no option to extend this visa.
- Department of Immigration: Working holiday makers who spend at least three months doing specified work are eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa and extend their stay by 12 months.
- Jobs Western Australia: This Government website provides information on living and working in Western Australia and you can browse the latest jobs on offer around the State.
- Willing Workers On Organic Farms (WWOOF): For something different, sign up to do voluntary work on organic farm with and get involved in everything from animal care to gardening and permaculture. Alternatively you can throw yourself into nature as a conservation volunteer. Keep in mind that this work will not count towards the working holiday visa extention
- Working Holiday Visa Checklist: A fact sheet with information about how to start a working holiday in Western Australia.
Working holiday maker content written by First Choice Australian Migration.
If you are on a budget there are heaps of free and affordable things to do in Perth and surrounds - travel around the city on the free CAT buses, catch a free movie or show at Northbridge Piazza, enjoy free live music by local acts at pubs and bars, explore free exhibits at the art gallery and WA Museum plus there are always plenty of fun and exciting free community events and festivals. Kings Park, Perth City, Fremantle and Rottnest Island all offer a range of fun and educational free walking tours by knowledgable local voluenteers. You can also pick up trail maps to follow on your own. A great way to explore and learn at the same time!
- Backpacker accommodation: See a list of affordable backpacker and hostel accommodation available in Perth and surrounds.
- Outdoor & adventure activities: Take a look at some of the fun outdoor adventure activities in Perth and surrounds.
- Don't have a car?... join a tour: Tours around Perth take you to some of the most exciting holiday spots in the region.
- Jobs Western Australia: a fantastic resource for all backpackers to WA including information for working holidays, accommodation and things to do.
More travel information
Plan your trip to Perth
Start planning your visit by finding out what to do in Perth during the day and night. See all accommodation, tours, attractions, activities, food and drink and retail in Perth.
100% Summer, 100% Perth
Spend a day or two getting to know our vibrant city, relax on the warm sands of our beautiful beaches and sample our unique local produce and wines. Find amazing summer deals, exciting events and festivals and a chance to win 1 of 3 Perth Experiences.