Where to find Perth’s best Chrismas lights
For these Christmas lights fanatics, it is all about spreading the joy of the season and seeing the reactions from the kids (including the big kids) who flock to their homes each year. Many of them are also raising money for causes close to their hearts, bringing in thousands of dollars every year for local charities.
To browse through lights displays, choose which ones you want to visit then plan your trip in the most efficient way, Synergy have an interactive website Synergy Xmas Lights Trail live on 1 December at www.xmaslightstrail.com.au
Top 3: North of the river
- 12 Newmarket Retreat, Currambine – Steve Churchman’s spectacular display features Disney characters, Santa’s workshop, a Santa sleigh, a snowman, a photo board, a Christmas train set, plenty of lights and inflatables and a guest appearances from “Snowflake” the Christmas bear – all while raising thousands for Autism WA.
- 2 Sherlock Rise, Carramar – Ruth and Stuart Galt create a unique interactive display designed with kids with special needs in mind. Their amazing display is a must-see for everyone but they have special sensory nights on the 16th and 20th of December where the lights are dimmer and don’t flash, everything is quieter and the characters in costume are people who work wth kids who have special needs. Their display raises the sole source of funds for Ruth’s after school art and craft workshops for kids at the disability centre where she works.
- Samson Court, Duncraig – These tight-knit neighbours help each other out and combine their efforts, to not only put on dazzling lights displays and draw a crowd each year but to raise thousands of dollars for Wheelchairs for Kids (a group of retirees in WA who provide wheelchairs to disadvantaged kids in need around the world).
Top 3: South of the river
- 8 Meadow Springs Drive, Meadow Springs – Mary Kartesz-Wardroper took out the People’s Choice Award in last year’s Synergy Xmas Lights Trail competition in 2017 and with one visit it is easy to see why! With over 700 boxes of decorations, hundreds of Christmas trees, characters in costume and an indoor display, make sure you put this wonderland on on your list. Mary raises funds for K9 Dog Rescue Group.
- 267 Lyon Road, Aubin Grove – Clayton Reimer and his family put hundreds of hours into their display which includes bubble and snow machines, 9-foot tall nutcrackers and more lights than you can imagine. They raise money for Perth Children’s Hospital Foundation.
- 4 Panax Court, South Lake – The Dunkley’s handmade santa sleigh and flying reindeer look spectacular against their beautiful garden setting. Their lights will also be raising money for Breast Cancer Care WA this year.
Perth CBD: Another top spot to visit is right in the city centre, in prime position on Yagan Square, the magnificent Lights for Lifeline Tree which is lit with more than 46,000 lights. This number represents the number of West Australians who called 13 11 14 over the past 12 months.
For more spots visit xmaslightstrail.com.au