Northam provides a great base from which to explore the Avon Valley.
Located just over an hour from Perth on the Great Eastern Highway, Northam is WA's largest inland town and is home to over 185 heritage listed buildings. Exploring the towns architecture on foot is a rewarding experience and along the way you'll also discover many craft and curio shops. There's also a wide range of cafes and restaurants from alfresco to fine dining.
The Avon River flows through the town and is fringed by soft grassy banks and shady trees. Picnicking beside the river is a popular pastime and it is here that you can also observe the activities of the elegant white swans which were brought here by settlers over 150 years ago. Or, you can spy on the swans from the heady heights of the pedestrian suspension bridge which passes over the Avon - the longest of its kind in Australia.
There are many activities to choose from in Northam such as hot air ballooning, hang gliding or white water rafting. To learn more about this beautiful town, why not join one of the Shire of Northam's Bilya Bidi guided tours. Join experienced and knowledgeable local guides on walking or bus tours to discover Northam's diverse, natural and cultural history.
Things to see and do in Northam
- Catch the AvonLink train from Perth to Northam with Transwa
- Stop in at the Northam Visitor Centre for brochures, information and bookings
- Go hot air ballooning with Windward Balloon Adventures
- Discover Northam's 185 heritage listed buildings
- Potter through the many craft and curio stores
- Picnic on the banks of the Avon River
- View the white swans from the pedestrian suspension bridge
- Join the Shire of Northam's Bilya Bidi guided tours
Explore the Avon Valley further
Plan Your Trip to Perth
Start planning your visit by finding out what to do in Perth during the day and night. See all accommodation, tours, attractions, activities, food and drink and retail in Perth.